Saturday, August 2, 2008

12.) 29.07.08 Sloth hunt

Today our neighbour hunted a sloth- for anyone not familiar with that animal, it´s those funny looking lazy fellows that hang around trees all day shuving leaves in their mouth. In German they are called "Faultier" which means "lazy animal". They are very peaceful and about the size of a gorilla. Our neighbour just cut the poor fellow down the tree with a machete and when he walks by the house with it to show it off it is still alive. It is bleeding badly and moaning with pain. The kids kick it and laugh and the men want me to take pictures of them with the sloth. I do it, just because of the horror and think it might be a good picture for something.
My vegetarian nature gets the better of me though and I wish they would kill the guy.

So far I have tried lots of different foods of the jungle and pretty much liked them all, apart from gunieapig, which is really dry and not too good. But I really don´t fancy eating that slothe and hope the neighbours don´t want to share.
The main food here is platanos, the green bananas. They are used like potatoes - cooked or fried as chips for breakfast. Then they eat a lot of banana soup- sweet mashed bananas boiled in water- really good. They don´t eat many vegetables, as they are hard to get. The meals mainly consist of two or three types of carbohydrates (rice, platanos and yuca or pasta) with meat. Followed by some fruit. When I come to the city the first thing i have to eat is a huge salad with lots of raw veg. I am such a pussy ;)
But my stomach is really getting used to meat and I feel good with the food here.

No comments: