Saturday, August 2, 2008

13.) 30.07.08 new teaching methods

I have invented some new teaching methods for the kids, which seem to be working. Before we wrote some words on the board and made them repeat them. They quickly got bored and forgot them again. I tried to think of something that combines learning with playing. So now I teach them a few words like some food names and then I play a ball game with them. I throw the ball at them and ask them something like "Which fruit do you like?¨ The have to answer with "I like apples" for example. They really enjoy it and it helps to repeat the same sentence over and over. Then I ask them things like "How are you today?" or "what´s your name?" and they answer when they get the ball.
It´s more action, they pay more atention and don´t get bored too quickly. Plus I am having a ball too :)

I am getting more and more students- adults as well as kids coming to the afternoon class, which is great. They really seem to apreciate me doing this. Whenever I walk through the village to the harbour now, everybody greets me and has nice words for me. Everybody knows me, even people I don´t. It´s fun.

Tomorrow they all have to hand in their cameras. I am very excited to finally see the pictures they have been taking over the last two weeks. I hope there will be some great ones that we can have an exhibition of the project and maybe try to sell some of the prints. It would be such a good experience for the kids..

No comments: