Saturday, August 2, 2008

15.) 30.07.08 Jungle Exercise

I have solved a problem which was really starting to bother me. It is quite difficult to get some excercise here, as stupid as that may sound. Of course you sweat a lot all day even if not moving and you have to do hard physical work, but I was really starting to miss the feeling of aching muscles, if anybody can understand that.
I can´t just go jogging down the main path here, because people already think I am nuts. But not only that - there are a lot of rules for a "decent" women in this society (I clearly don´t belong into that category as things like playing football in the rain with the kids disqualifies me).

The thing is, that out of respect for my foster family, I try to keep to the rules and be good. That includes not wearing short shorts or going swimming anywhere near men. When I go swimmind with the kids and a man walks past in the far distance they start screaming and tell me to duck down. Then they gather around me and hide my body with theirs, although the poor fellow is so far off, that he could hardly spot me without a telelense.

The people in the village all look at me with a mixture of doubt and curiosity when I tell them I am married- which Eduardo told me is the only right answer for a woman my age. They wouldn´t speak to me if I told them I just had a boyfriend. That is sinful and totally unacceptable. Not that I am not going to hell anyways, but I really try to fit in so that my family doesn´t get into trouble for my behaviour.

So that means I can´t just go jogging like I would like to in the early morning hours when it is still cool. But I have found out that running with kids is ok, because you can blame it on them and slow down when you pass somebody. So thats what I have been doing, running around the jungle mainly barefoot with the kids, swimming and climbing trees. I feel much better now..

No comments: